Friday, July 8, 2011

PESTO GENOVESE

Real pesto could only be made with mortar and pestle, I was told by a real Italian. Aha.

Ingredients (for four servings)

Large bunch of Basil
4 gloves of garlic, peeled
1/4 cup of roasted pine nuts (you can also use walnuts or pecans)
5 tablespoons of Olive Oil
3/4 cup of parmesan

So, here is what I did:

In a mortar, I crushed a large bunch of basil.




Then added the four gloves of garlic and the nuts.




One by one tablespoon, I worked the oil in and added the parmesan in the end.


We had it with pasta.


YUMMI - or so I thought.


Aurelia found it a tad too spicy.

I believe she was referring to the garlic.

I had used very large and very fresh gloves.

I told her, the mosquitos will stay away from her if she ate it.


BTW: This recipe is from The Splendid Table. Thanks!!

"Nature never says one thing and wisdom another." Decimus Junius Juvenalis

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great - Elephant garlic (yes there is such an "animal") is good for large cloves. If u'r lucky, they sometimes sell at $.99 store. I've been making broccoli and artichoke pesto lately (frozen hearts are great to use as they retain a lot of the vitamins, or canned will work). Divine! Just lightly steam veggies, put in food processor or blender. Make sure veggies are slightly cooled before putting in blender. Make a garlic necklace for Aurelia to keep away the vampires!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The really funny part of the story is that the mosquitos have been munching me up. And I ate all my garlic. Boohoo!!

    ReplyDelete