Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Plant Terrarium - Tutorial

I have been seeing them everywhere but could not get myself to buy them because they are pretty and expensive.

Anywho, I decided to try making one for my friend Allin and myself:

What I used:

  • 1/2 gallon Ball canning jar or a glass bowl that you deem pretty
  • a hand full of pretty pebbles
  • some moss
  • a couple hands full of potting soil
  • plants 
  • optional: decoration (pebbles, statues of fairies or gnomes, etc..)


Some advise on choosing plants:
As always in gardening, one should group plants together that like the same climate, i.e. don't mix fern with cacti. Also, when planting these, bare in mind that succulents prefer dry climates while a terrarium tends to hold moisture, i.e. shoot for tropical plants.

Here's how I did it:



So, start with a clean glass container.

I used a canning jar. I love their homegrown look.


The pretty cognac glass on top is for my friend Allin, who is napping on my couch; a little thank you for her helping me with the two girlies while my man is traveling. 




There are multiple ways to create a drainage barrier but I preferred the pebble-moss combo for aesthetic reasons.


Then, fill pebbles in; about an inch high.






Next, spread out the moss and layer it on top of the pebbles.










Now, add planting soil.











Then plant and water the little guys. Using a watering can with a long nose is a good idea.


I only wanted to create a small centerpiece and so stayed with one plant; I used a polka dot plant which are supposed to work really great for this kind of planting. 


Finally, decorate (which I didn't). DONE!


Keep  caring for your new plant(s) with trimming and watering.


"Nature never says one thing and wisdom another." Decimus Junius Juvenalis

No comments:

Post a Comment