Monday, January 23, 2012

Maternity Wrap Skirt - TUTORIAL


Skirt worn as empire waist
 I have been looking for a maternity wrap skirt because I figured I could still wear it afterwards.

AGAIN, no success.

I found a skirt that I liked, but the creator's pattern / tutorial to the link does not work (WHY!??!), I ended up making my own pattern.

As you can see, I used some silkie fabric.

Dont know why but currently I find bold colors with equally loud embroidery just too hot. Must be some sort of a Bollywood virus.

And these are my scribbles on how to cut the pieces ....

And here is how I did it:
  1. Cut the pieces: Back Panels 2x (or 1x on fold), Front Side Panels 2x, Front Middle 1x, Ties 2x. 
  2. Sew together the three front parts
  3. Sew back panels together if you cut 2 pieces
  4. Sew back to front on one side
  5. Make tie: Sew both pieces on small side together, making one long piece
  6. Press tie in half by folding it on the short sides, making one super long and skinny tie
  7. Sew tie on open sides with frail edges pressed inwards (kind of like bias taping)
  8. Pin tie on skirt, sew on with center of tie in middle of front middle
  9. Hem bottom of skirt
  10. Create a buttonhole for the tie to slip through
  11. 
    Skirt on worn hips
    
    So, during pregnancy, you can wear this piece below the belly (as you can see here in the picture on the side) or as an empire waist (see picture at beginning of this page).
After (or before), you wear it at your regular waistline (no picture from me in that condition in a while).


"Nature never says one thing and wisdom another." Decimus Junius Juvenalis

No comments:

Post a Comment