Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tutorial - Lavender Sachets

Laah!vender Sachets
We have a lot of lavender plants, who were blooming like there was no tomorrow to the benefit of our bees, who I am expecting to have made the most amazing honey.

With lavender plants it is a bit tricky: They can grow super large in no time and in order to keep them from taking over, you need to prune them. Heavily! No, seriously!

This is great, because you can then take the flowers and hang them up to dry. Yes, we had aromatherapy in all rooms.

After drying them for quite a while, it was time to do something with these flowers.

I peeled the buds off and decided to make lavender sachets.


Laah!vender Sachets are GREAT GIFTS:

Most people use these sachets in their linen closet or sock drawer to infuse clothing with good smells and  to fight off moths. In particular in the sock drawer, lavender can also be benefitial with its antiseptic effects.

Lavender has calming effects and some people put a sachet next to their bed and it can even be used in the car for people who tend to get motion sickness.


You will need:

  • muslin 6 x 6 inches
  • thread
  • ribbon
  • couple hand fulls of dried organic lavender buds; the best variety for this purpose is Lavandula Augustofolia


Here is how I did it:



I chose unbleached muslin, because I thought why would I use some bleached material for my all organic English Lavender?!

So, I cut the muslin into 6 x 6 inch squares.

With the pretty side facing down, I folded in the top twice and stitched it.


With the pretty side facing up, I folded it in lengthwise and stitched shut the two open sides, creating a bag. Then I turned the piece inside out and filled it with the lavender buds and tied a ribbon around it.

If you do not have lavender, but still want to make sachets, there are plenty of places to buy dried lavender online by the pound, which sells at around US$15.

Of course, this was the basic version and I ended up adding some heart shaped fabric scraps to it, which you can see here.


You want one? Become a follower of this blog (click button on the right) and eMail me your mailing address to K@GardensofChange.com and I will post one off to you.



"Nature never says one thing and wisdom another." Decimus Junius Juvenalis

No comments:

Post a Comment